Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Cherry Tomato and Peach Salad

So continuing on my theme of things to eat when the temperatures are blazing...

My garden is happily producing mountains of cherry tomatoes. I had good success with them last year, so naturally, I planted even more this year. Yesterday at the farmer's market I was tempted by the first of the stone fruits - peaches and plums. Well, I was tempted by the plums, but Jeff said he likes peaches, so I bought both. I don't like peaches. Sort of. I have a psychological aversion to them... Long story, not so interesting. The upshot is that when I see them, I announce to everyone that I don't like peaches. I never select a peach deliberately. But if one finds it's way into my mouth, I find it delicious.

So then I was thinking about this tomato and peach salad I had out somewhere one time, and I decided to see what I could come up with.

But first, a note about the cheese. I used Pecorino Fresco - again! I love pecorino fresco and can't seem to stop eating it. It's a little like bufala mozzarella, but a little creamier and a little tangier, but it also has that "fresh cheese" taste. Anyway, some bufala mozzarella or even bocconcini would be terrific in this salad as well.

Ingredients

about 30 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1 or 2 peaches, peeled and sliced
half a sweet onion, sliced very thin
3-4ounces pecorino fresco (or bufula mozzarella or bocconcini), diced
15 basil leaves, chiffonade
1/3 cup good olive oil (or less)
a few sprinkles of good balsamic

combine the cherry tomatoes, peaches, onion and cheese in a medium bowl. add the oil and toss gently to coat. Add the basil chiffonade and either leave on top as a garnish, or combine with other ingredients.

This salad can sit in the fridge a few hours or overnight, and sitting seems to improve it's flavor. Just before serving, sprinkle to taste with balsamic vinegar.

I was just thinking that this salad would be terrific with mango in place of the peach. And I love mangos!

1 comment:

  1. I'm getting lots of little tomatoes too. Usually I just eat them as is, but this might be a good way to use some of them up!

    ...D

    ReplyDelete